Our Developing and Empowering Leadership Through the Arts (DELTA) Initiative provides students from New Haven Public Schools a tuition-free opportunity to foster their artistic expression, expand their joy of performance, and develop life skills that support success in school and beyond.
DELTA Scholars are accepted into one of two performing arts pathways—Music or Dance—and immerse themselves in intense study by taking weekly lessons, ensembles, and classes at NMS, performing throughout the community, and participating in leadership development training. Scholars learn from our outstanding faculty and take their place among the top students of our region.
Music Scholars receive a 30-minute individual lesson each week and participate in a performance ensemble. Dance Scholars take two dance classes per week, in a variety of genres, and learn about choreography through our exclusive Collaborative Choreography Initiative. Students may have the opportunity to participate in additional activities after completion of their first year.
During each academic year, DELTA Scholars are required to:
- Maintain good standing at their schools
- Attend the program orientation with a parent or guardian
- Participate in two leadership workshops
- Attend the year-end celebration
- Participate in lessons, classes, and ensembles
- Complete a minimum of 5 hours of community service at NMS
- Participate in scheduled performances
To qualify for DELTA, students must:
- Be in grade 6 through 12
- Attend a New Haven Public School
- Have a yearly household family income of $75,000 or less
Please contact us to learn more about DELTA and to apply.