Greater New Haven Youth Ensembles
Since 1961, the Youth Ensembles Program at NMS has offered young musicians unparalleled opportunities to play with other high-achieving students. As they explore celebrated classical pieces and develop crucial performance skills, students are provided with an unforgettable creative experience while they make lifelong friends along the way.
These auditioned ensembles are directed by professional conductors and rehearse weekly. Enrollment in music lessons at NMS is not a prerequisite for joining the GNHYE, but it is certainly encouraged.
Greater New Haven Youth Orchestra
Netta Hadari, conductor
One of the top youth ensembles in Connecticut, the Youth Orchestra’s focus is to be a tool to fight racism and sexism in society, leading students toward achieving their personal potential for artistic beauty and to foster a sense of fairness and unity through the actions of making music. The orchestra is for highly committed high school players.
The Youth Orchestra rehearses on Sundays from 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm.
Greater New Haven Concert Orchestra
Marvin Warshaw, conductor
The Concert Orchestra is geared towards developing the instrumental skills needed to play together well. String students will experience fun and rewarding repertoire and learn instrumental techniques to continue development towards high school level ensembles.
The Concert Orchestra rehearses on Saturdays from 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm.
We are currently accepting auditions for the Youth Orchestra and Concert Orchestra. Auditions are due August 15, 2021.
The auditions will be held via Flipgrid. Here’s how to apply:
- Complete this application. Be sure you check all of the ensembles you wish to audition for. You only need to submit one video to audition for multiple ensembles.
- Submit your audition here on Flipgrid by August 15. At the bottom of the white rectangle on the Flipgrid page, enter the guest password: NMSensembles! You may record directly to Flipgrid, or upload a video (.MOV, .MP4, .WEBM supported).
Here are the audition guidelines:
- Please dress appropriately for an audition.
- The video time limit is five minutes. You do not need to fill the entire time.
- Tell us your name, how much ensemble experience you have had, and a fun fact about yourself.
- Play two scales: one major, one minor.
- Play a piece/excerpt that best represents your playing level.
Please contact Patty Boczer to learn more about the Greater New Haven Youth Ensembles.