Ages 8 – 18.* All instruments and vocalists welcome! Instruction and bands are offered at all levels of experience.
An exciting, student-driven popular music program, Summer Rocks! emphasizes and celebrates each participant’s creative voice as they build important musical and interpersonal skills in a fabulously supportive and diverse community. Each summer, the Summer Rocks! family takes over 100 Audubon Street in New Haven and fires up the engines on the kind of musical adventures that can define a summer forever in the life of a kid. Concert outings. Guest artists. Amazing workshops. And this year…our first Annual All-Day Summer Rocks Fest – a day-long Saturday Rock Festival in the Park of the Arts and the Neighborhood Music School. Anyone. Any style. Any instrument. All are welcome to join the always fun and inspiring Summer Rocks family! Come and get it!
All-new and ready to roll…Summer Rocks! 2018: Everybody In! makes sure to bring the biggest jump to the party. This year each band will study with every Master Coach every day – their own special consultants all week long. From the worlds of Alternative, Metal, Hip-Hop, Punk, Pop, Singer-Songwriter, and more, this street-tested faculty of professional teaching artists brings a huge range of historic and contemporary stylistic vocabularies, composition skills, technical production chops, and cultural understanding to every member of the Summer Rocks! family – enabling each student to fully inform their own music in their own way. Your Voice. Your Sound.
*or permission of director
Monday – Friday, August 13 -17, 2018
9:30 am to 5:30 pm
Saturday, August 18, 2018
Come join us for the inaugural Summer Rocks! Fest, presenting music from all the bands in both Summer Rocks! and Adult Summer Rocks!
At the end of each day, students attend a workshop designed for all performers that addresses common issues. Topics include Singing, Rock History, Performance Skills, Live Performance and Sound Reinforcement.
Each day, students choose an exciting elective.
Here are just a few of the offerings…
- Performance Skills: Explore the practices of spatial awareness, stage presence, dynamics of staging, lighting and other production considerations in this essential, new elective.
- Amplification & Effects: Experiment with instrument-specific amplification techniques,
EQ and other “effect” applications.
- Rock History: Learn about the people, places and reasons behind the most importantmusical movements and artists of our time.
- Songwriting: Play with song structures, forms, chord progressions, dynamics
and much more.
- Lyric Writing: Discover the potency of lyrics in song through writing prompts, the study of words as sound and compositional structures. You’ll be surprised at what you come up with!
- Instrument Maintenance & Repair: Learn the basic, but important, caretaking responsibilities of different instruments—from how to string a guitar to those pesky trumpet valves to wacky truss rods to banged up drum stuff.
- Recording: Each day, record a different instrument type. By Friday, you’ll have a fully produced song!
- Vocal Intensive: Design and practice everything from background to lead vocals!
9:30 am Band Rehearsal
10:50 am Break
11 am Master Classes
12 noon Lunch
12:45 pm Band Rehearsal
1:50 pm Theory & Improvisation
2:30 pm Break
2:45 pm Electives
3:30 pm Band Rehearsal
4:50 pm All-Student Workshops
The home base for each student. Each band writes, arranges and performs at least one original tune in addition to arranging artistically significant material.
Jesse Hameen II, Jazz & Rock Chair
Peter DiGennaro, Summer Rocks! Director
More to come.
Please note: Faculty is subject to change.
Early registration deadline: July 15
Pay before this date and save $40. Simply enter code SumJazzRockEarlyBirdFY19 at check out!
Please be sure to indicate your preferred T-shirt size.
If you need assistance in setting up an account or registering please call us at 203-624-5189.
$545 if paid before July 15 Be sure to enter code SumJazzRockEarlyBirdFY19 at check out!
$585 if paid after July 15
*Includes T-shirt, guaranteed with early registration.
If you require financial assistance to attend Summer Rocks!, please fill out our financial aid application well in advance of the July 15 deadline.
Upon receipt of your completed application and registration, you will be contacted to discuss your request and/or payment plan. Financial aid is need-based and limited.
If you need assistance in setting up an account or registering, please call us at 203-624-5189.
An exciting, student-driven popular music program, Summer Rocks! emphasizes and celebrates each participant’s creative voice as they build important musical and interpersonal skills in a fabulously supportive and diverse community.