Preschool Home • Preschool Staff • For Prospective Families • For Enrolled Families & Calendar • COVID-19
During this unprecedented health crisis the Preschool at NMS will do all we can to mitigate the risks, with our top priority being the health and safety of the teachers, children and their families. If we are going to be successful it means everyone in our community including families, and staff must adhere to these policies. We must commit ourselves to open and transparent communication, the responsibility falling both on us at NMS and our families, to lessen the possibility of an outbreak.
Please note, the information from the Health Department and recommendations based on current science may change and we will make changes as they occur and communicate those changes with families.
The following policy and/or procedural changes and expectations will be adhered to by NMS Preschool and its families as set forth by the Connecticut Office of Early Childhood (OEC) during this public health emergency. As the situation continues to evolve, we will always abide by the requirements set forth by the OEC. While the provisions listed here will be our current operating procedures, please be advised that this may be subject to change at any time based on new information and will be re-evaluated prior to the start date of Wednesday, September 9th. Any changes in protocols and procedures will be communicated to all families and staff. NMS is doing everything we can to keep all of our children and staff safe and healthy.
- Temperature checks will be conducted daily before entering the building for all staff and children using a no-contact thermometer or temporal thermometer
- If the temperature reading is below 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, your child will then be permitted to attend for the day and escorted to his/her classroom
- If your child’s temperature is 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or greater, you will be asked to take your child home
- At the time of drop-off you will be asked a series of questions:
- Do you or your child have any symptoms of COVID-19?
- Has a household member been diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Has your child had any medication in the last 24 hours?
- Has a household member traveled in the last two weeks?
- If so, have they traveled to identified COVID-19 hot spots?
- Parent/Guardian will drop off & pick up outside of the school at the playground gate, only 1 parent should accompany child to the gate
- Parent/Guardian will need to wear a mask during drop off and pick up, and keep distance from other parents
- Teachers will sign children in and out
- If it is necessary to drop-off or pick-up outside of your designated window of time you will text the Director
- At drop off, teachers will assist children with handwashing for 20 seconds or hand sanitizing upon entering the playground and school
- Each group will use hand sanitizer when transitioning from one area to another
- All of the children in each group will wash their hands for 20 seconds when transitioning from outside to inside
- Hand sanitizer will be available for staff and children inside and outside; if used by children, staff will supervise and assist for safety
- All staff will be required to wear a mask or cloth face covering that covers the nose and mouth at all times
- All staff will get a COVID-19 test 1 week prior to our re-opening
Group size, classroom protocols
- Class sizes will be limited to 10 children
- Children will physically distance from one another when possible such as rest, lunch, and meeting time
- The CDC has recently recommended that everyone should wear a mask in settings where social distancing measures are difficult to maintain
- Preschoolers will bring 2 masks to school, we understand that it will be difficult for our preschoolers to wear face coverings reliably so teachers will work with children to wear masks to the extent possible, especially during indoor activities
- Teachers will be assigned to one group of children only
- We will do everything we can to ensure there are as few staff as possible entering and exiting your child’s classroom
Cleaning and sanitizing
- As per our usual operating procedures, all cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting procedures will be in place
- We will clean and sanitize toys and books more frequently throughout the day when not being used by children
- We will increase cleaning and sanitation of restrooms, classrooms, high touch surfaces during the day when children are not present
- Preschool classrooms will be cleaned and sanitized after school hours
- Bathrooms will be wiped down after each use
- Staff person will wear gloves and will portion each child’s snack separately, prior to serving
- Food will NOT be served family style
- Children will wash their hands and faces before and after meal times
- Children will bring a lunch in a lunchbox with a cold pack
- We will not be heating up lunches, please pack warm things in a thermos
Supporting parent communication and community involvement
- Parent Orientation will take place via Zoom date and time to be determined
- Teachers will provide regular communication with parents via notes, emails, phone calls and zoom meetings
- All written communication will be given directly to parents at pick up time
- Important announcements will be shared via email
While our Community remains of great importance, we are sad to say that all in-person gatherings (such as our Feast Days, sing-a-longs, Share Days and beach picnic) will be suspended during the COVID-19 pandemic.
For questions and more information please contact Preschool Director, Christine Missakian, [email protected].