Jobs and Volunteer opportunities
Director of Finance
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the Executive Director
Pay Status: Salaried, Full-Time, and Exempt
General Description: The Director of Finance (“DoF”) is a collaborative, hands-on leader responsible for the financial business management of Neighborhood Music School (“NMS”). As a member of the leadership team, the DoF is a thought partner for the Executive Director in strategic decision-making and must have a deep belief in the NMS mission: “To deepen the human experience and build connections through the learning, practice and presentation of the performing arts.”
The DoF oversees accounting & audit, financial planning, information technology, data management, and employment, payroll, and benefits administration. The DoF continually evaluates best industry practices in comparison to internal systems and needed resources, with an eye toward both future needs and budget realities. This position works closely with the ED and Board to uphold fiduciary, risk management and compliance responsibilities for NMS. Currently, the DoF manages an administrative team that includes a staff accountant, a billing/financial aid coordinator, and outside vendors, including IT, health benefits, audit, insurance, and legal.
FINANCE & ACCOUNTING
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the school’s accounting functions including general ledger, internal controls and cash management, reconciliation and monthly close, accounts payable, accounts receivable, customer billing, collections, annual audit and tax filings, and financial accounts;
- Work with Executive Director, Board, and relevant staff to develop and monitor annual operating budget, capital budget, program budgets, and grant budgets;
- Provide timely and accurate financial reports, key performance indicators, and market research.;
- Prepare for and actively participate in staff, faculty, board, and finance committee meetings;
- Serve as primary staff support for the Board’s Finance & Risk Committee;
- Represent NMS in the community when needed.
- Ensure adequate insurance coverage is maintained, renewed or replaced in a timely manner;
- File and resolve all insurance claims;
- Maintain compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations;
- Keep informed of industry best practices, while responding to evolving needs;
- Create and maintain all vendor and rental contracts;
- Review and ensure compliance with all contracts NMS enters into with outside parties;
- Manage workers comp audit.
EMPLOYMENT, PAYROLL, AND BENEFITS ADMINISTRATION
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensure compliance with federal and state legislation pertaining to all personnel matters;
- Manage the document flow for hires, terminations, leaves, salary changes, special payments;
- Oversee onboarding and off-boarding;
- Assist in creation of position descriptions and create organizational reporting chart;
- Create and collect annual faculty agreements;
- Administer staff review process;
- Maintain accurate and complete employee personnel files;
- Create and process a complex payroll system and produce 1099s;
- Produce wage notifications/updates for staff and faculty;
- Review and respond to unemployment compensation claims;
- Coordinate sexual harassment, emergency protocol, and Anti-Bias Anti-Racist training sessions and ensure participation by all relevant parties;
- Work with Executive Director to set benefits policy;
- Partners with the benefits broker to facilitate the annual open enrollment;
- Oversee PTO analysis.
DATA AND IT MANAGEMENT
- Provide general supervision for the overall administration, planning, coordination and execution of IT & data management functions, including assessing organizational needs and recommending solutions;
- Responsible for overseeing production and management of all student, family, enrollment, and financial data.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Neighborhood Music School;
- Strong technical skills in financial accounting, reporting, and analysis;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in financial management and/or accounting, with practical hands-on bookkeeping experience;
- Well-versed in the principles of fund accounting and non-profit management;
- Knowledge of employee benefits administration and human resource compliance;
- Technology savvy, including advanced-level proficiency in MS Excel and Quickbooks;
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA and/or CPA preferred;
- Ability to prioritize effectively, and to manage multiple projects and timelines;
- Pride of work;
- Effective organization skills and attention to detail;
- Keen analytical and problem solving skills;
- A desire to lead by example and effectively supervise, coach and mentor a team;
- A collaborative approach, and a sense of humor;
- Integrity and high ethical standards;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- A commitment to lifelong learning, and to continual improvement based on best practices.
The above position description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities for the position.
Please submit your cover letter and resume, including range of salary requirements, to: [email protected].
Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
We are always on the lookout for talented and dedicated instrumentalists, vocalists, and dancers to join our exceptional faculty! If you are passionate about teaching, please send a completed application (found here), your CV/resume, along with a cover letter detailing your teaching interests and expertise to [email protected]. Tell us what you value, and why you feel you might be a good fit for NMS. We look forward to hearing from you!
Our volunteer program is on hiatus. We look forward to restarting our volunteer program when our building is fully reopened.